[T3] WHY ISNT MY NOTCH RUNNING NOW!!!!!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 11:52:23 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/26/2011 12:16:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 25  Feb 2011 at 11:31, William McInerney wrote:

> I am still hearing  that boom sound when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd,
> but I am actually  forcing the downshift into second. However, when I
> pay attention to my  buddy downshift there is no sound as he allows the
> tranny to gently  drop into second...if that makes sense???

It occurs to me that maybe  you have a broken motor mount somewhere.
If the drive train wasn't  completely restrained, a hard downshift
might cause it to jump around and  probably make some sort of noise.

Just a wild guess, but possibly worth  checking out....

Jim, Bill has CP (IIRC), and "isn't even supposed to drive a MT car". ;^)
He has been teaching himself how to drive one though, and just needs
practice to  get smooth. Bill, you might try using just 3 fingers to grab the
shifter (index,  middle and thumb), and just glide it into place, as it shouldn't
require much  more than that. On my own cars I know this is possible,
except for reverse which  requires the downward pressure to over come the spring.
Don't get yourself down  on this Bill, eventually you'll get it right, and
then it'll be more enjoyable.  Keep up the good work. : )

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)