[T3] Fuel gauge

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:09:10 PST 2011

*Jim -- As you know, my T3 was stored for 9+ years.  My son & son-in-law who
stored it, assured me that they stabilized the fuel, filled the tank to the
FULL position, before they put it up on jack stands.

But you also know that "we" installed your Overflow Kit last summer, because
the original 90 degree, rubber "pipe" was cracked/broken.  I suppose over
all that time, evaporation of 3/4 of the fuel COULD have taken place.  Maybe
the sender float created a bit of corrosion at the 1/4th level.  ???

Can I slightly "rotate" the gauge from the back in an attempt to get a
better electrical contact ... springs to "backside of the dash"?

If the sender wires are gently "cleaned" and the electrical connection
(retaining springs-to-dash) is restored, then I guess the instrument MAY be
the problem?

I've previously had the gauges out, so I know how to "spring" the "ears"
close to the gauge body, so the gauge can be removed from the dash.

I guess the thing to do is take the car on a 250 mile trip (along with a
filled, 2-1/2 gallon gas can ... for a partial refill) and see if the gauge
"sticks" when it gets to the 1/4 full mark.  Road vibration doesn't seem to
dislodge the needle.  But a "rap" on the dash does.  Curious, eh?
*