[T3] Old Type IIIs (cooling)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Feb 23 11:10:34 PST 2011

My only real beef with this discussion is the section below.  The Type 3
cooling system passes more air than any other ACVW engine, and has no
inherent cooling problems or frailties.  NO VW engine should EVER be
assembled without all factory tins.

I have the luck of having a 1-owner late fastback, and it has been the most
reliable car I have ever owned, on a par with my newer Toyotas.  It is a
weekend car now, but I would take it on a trip without any further special
preparation.  The brakes, suspension and tranny have all been rebuilt or
replaced, and the engine was stripped to the block, cleaned, sealed up well,
and all hardware (including the thermostat) installed and checked.  Wiring
has been checked and repaired with either solder or factory crimps, and I
keep spare wire, connectors, and alligator clips at the ready shold
something old and brittle fail me.  Hasn't yet, though.

-Phil