[T3] Fresh Air intake Box

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 25 09:59:29 PST 2011

Has any one removed the fresh air intake boxes directly under the
hood? Do you just remove the two bolts and two nuts under the dash?
Does the windshield wiper assembly have to be removed? There is also a
deflector located in each one. Being plastic and exposed to the desert
sun's UV they are missing. This  lets water and wind into the cabin.
Anyone have a pair to spare and sell? I need to really clean the boxes
and replace the deflectors. Then the cove goes back on. Also looking
for the door hinge cover/buttons. Love the desert for no rust; but not
the UV damage. It is 70 Squareback.

Brion S
70 Squareback
69  912
70 914
82 Vanagon
79 Westy
Zion National Park, UT

Brion, I just R & R'd mine a few months back. I removed the glove box,
as Jim suggested, along with the dash brace, and the tubes to the
windshield and the fresh air vents in the dash. I removed the speaker
grill ( no speaker there ) but the wiper motor was not a hindrance. I
disconnected the louver flap control cables at the F A box and taped
them out of the way. Be careful about the spring clips/washers which
hold the cables to the louver flap control arms. 4 bolts hold the box
in, and there are the electrical wires for the fan unit. The last I
remember is the drain hose on the bottom of the F A box. Not a
difficult task, but one that will take some time. At least for me it
did.
Good Luck
Tim