[T3] Heater channel

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 1 19:12:27 PST 2011

On 1 Feb 2011 at 9:04, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I have a heater channel from a fastback, and wondered if they are the
> same as T-3's. I was after the lower pillar mount hinge and got the
> whole heater channel unit. I don't need the rest as I got the hinge
> piece off, and see the heater/defroster deflector is a snap out/in
> unit. (My T-3 is getting the tranny tuned and in the shop 1 1/2 hours
> away. ) Are the deflector units the same? My T-3 needs that repaired,
> and if so, then that may be an easier fix than previously imagined.

There were Type 3 fastbacks and Type 4 fastbacks, but I'm assuming
you got the channel from a Type 3 fastback. In that case, Type 3
fastback and squareback bodies are the same in that area.

T1, T2, & T3 are more properly used to describe different eras of
Type 2s (Transporters.) We often refer to our cars as T3s, but this
can be confusing if you're asking about compatability. There are very
few cross-compatable parts between a T3 and a Type 3.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org