[T3] Mission Impossible of 72 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 25 19:28:50 PST 2011

On 25 Feb 2011 at 17:19, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Well here is a video I took today of us removing the damaged wiring
> harness.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SEn89CLBw

Dennis, Looks like you're on the right track, and it's certainly nice
that you have a parts car that's so close in age. I agree that you
can wrap plastic around all the exposed parts of the harness to keep
the paint off of it.

I have one question: At about 2:20 into your video, you're showing a
plastic piece that protected the wiring harness under the dash. I
have 2-3 of these that I've pulled out of various cars, and they
seemed to come in various colors over time but all with the same part
number. I've only seen them in the later years, maybe only '72-3.
Here's my question: Exactly where does it go?

I've never been able to figure out exactly where they should fit.
It's gotta be somewhere up inside the far left, but I've never found
the orientation that seemed a perfect fit. All the ones I've come
across had fallen out of position and clearly weren't where they were
supposed to be.

Can someone describe that to me really clearly, including the
orientation of that part? There's a little crease along one edge;
that's got to fit around something in particular, but what?

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org