[T3] Vacuum Leak

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jan 7 19:33:24 PST 2011

On 7 Jan 2011 at 16:45, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I found a vacuum leak in the area of the manifold at the cylinder
> head.  I have the proper F.I. gasket, and new injectors on the same
> side.  I have to leave in five minutes, so just wanted to get this out
> there, and ask more questions later. ;)  I noticed one of the seals
> was pinched on one side, so I gather it was not seated right.
> However, this is not the cylinder that was running way over rich, but
> the same bank.  Could this be the reason for the leak?  any other
> reasons/possibilities?

A vacuum leak would make something run lean, not rich, so the leak
you found is not related to your rich cylinder.

If the pinched seal was one of the small ones around the nose of an
injector, then it was probably still sealing okay, but just not
installed as carefully as it should have been. If you clean out the
pocket where it seats and refit it, it will probably do fine after a
few heat cycles.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org