[T3] Charging issue still

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 14 09:14:49 PST 2011

I rechecked the generator mounting, and found the alignment less than
the width of the dimple on the  strap off. ( 1mm ) I'll correct that,
however it seems too small to create a heating issue. Yes Jim I have
your charging fact sheet and will recheck everything again. I will
also repeat my drive from a few days back without any load except the
clock and the fuel pump and any other draws necessary for the car to
run. ( coil, fuel injectors, dist. etc ) The generator is a re-
manufactured bosch # 311 903 031. I see on the commutator (?), where
the brushes ride, a ledge indicating wear. The groves are still very
visible and are deeper than the ledge is tall by many factors. The
brushes are protruding above the holder brackets and the spring (s)
seems plenty strong.
The voltage regulator is not bosch and I have some reservations
regarding that component. I'm not sure I can envision a situation
where the V R would drop as the temp. went up. Does anyone have any
comments on the new style bosch electronic V R ?
I'd like to get this solved as my transmission is debating itself as
to what gear it should be in and when.
Thanks Tim