[T3] "Correct" Bosch vs."new" Solid State VR

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Mon Jan 17 16:35:29 PST 2011

My car probably had the original VR in it.  My headlights were doing wonky things at night and my car was running so rich it would quit.  I bought another VR (non-Bosch) that failed within a few months.  I bought one of these new solid state VRs and have been happy with it.

Make damn sure that nothing is hot (battery disconnected) when you install it.

Make damn sure that it is well grounded.

I was not aware that the housing is hot (positive), but that doesn't seem to be an issue with me.

It has survived through one generator, but then, I've only had the VR for a little over a year.  Rock steady performance.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN