[T3] Tire failure?

Russ W russw at classicvw.org
Mon Jan 17 18:03:22 PST 2011

On 1/17/2011 6:28 PM, Chris Slaymaker wrote:
> When I bought Foster a few years ago, it came with nearly new tires.  I think they're made by Kelly - a brand called "Arizonian".
>
> Two months ago, I had a blowout and replaced it with a Nexen of similar specs.  (I hadn't heard of them much.)
>
> Last month, another of those tires went flat while driving to work (in the bitter cold).  I took it to a reputable mo-and-pop tire place and the called to tell me that the sidewall was about to fail on it (probably in similar fashion as the previous tire).
>
> So I've lost two tires in about as many months.  Still plenty of good tread on them.  Do these tires have a "history"?

What were the date codes on the tires?  Tires do have a shelf life.
Especially UV rays.
My 69 when I bought it, had a set of near new tread Michelin XZX tires.
But, they were old.  Within 6 months, 2 of them had failed, and the
other 2 were showing signs cracking.
So, I shelled out the money, and bought a set of Coopers. Made in USA.
My 73 when I bought it, I put Kumhos' on it.  They are OK, but I seem to
have to air them periodically if the car sits without being driven.

--
Thanks,
Russ Wolfe
russw at classicvw.org