[T3] Tire failure?

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:03:37 PST 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:46:49 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Tire failure?
>
> On 18 Jan 2011 at 9:57, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:
>
>[...]
>
> BTW, for bonus points: What material burns equally well in pure O and
> pure N?

Magnesium?  Been a long time since I had High School chemistry, but I
recall it, has a high tendency to burn.  Even Aluminium burns pretty
good; I should know as I lit some foil which took a bit to start, but
did burn.  Had to do it, as it seemed a bit far out. ;)  I was the one
in Middle School Chem experimenting (most of my life I am a loner so
did not work in groups like the rest of the idiots), but in High School
he was a bit more strict.  Thus, I did not go any further with it.  Now
thinking on it, wonder where my samples went...

>[...]
>
> I've taken a lot of old tires off old rims, and most of the time the
> rims are pristine inside, with no sign of corrosion at all. I've had
> exactly one tire where the rim was really eaten up with corrosion,
> and that one was one that had a leak and had been topped up
> frequently over a very long time. My guess is that it got fresh O and
> water every time it was topped up. IIRC, there was even loose water
> in the tire when it came off the rim. That's one very good reason to
> fix leaky tires rather than just adding air every week.

My Father went to the gas station he always does, but this time,
released some "air" before filling his tires.  Instead, water poured
out.  Later he asked if this was a major problem, and told him he needed
to tell the station, as over time, the water will damage the rims.
Lucky these were on the old tires about week before being replaced,
otherwise might have had to drain them; right?

Thank you,
Adriel