[T3] Up date on 72 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 22 06:58:00 PST 2011

On 21 Jan 2011 at 20:12, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Well I don't have a video this time since most of what we have done this
> week you can't see.  Since the back of my FB was sagging a little when I
> quit driving it I decided to swap the torsion bars from the Squarback
> parts car. I hope I don't regret doing this as long I haven't made the
> ride as stiff as the 71 stander Beetle I have.

Swapping is a fairly big job, but it's the same amount of work to
swap torsion bars as it is to re-adjust the ones you have. It would
be less work to just swap the complete subframes.

The square torsion bars are a bit stiffer than the fasty's, but most
people like this. YMMV.

> We have also been
> checking out the electrical in the SB to see if we can transfer a good
> bit of it in the FB since the wiring is in such poor shape on it.

There are a lot of year to year differences, so I wouldn't do this
unless they are the same year (and in '71 there were mid year
changes.) There are 2 basic harnesses: front and rear. I don't think
the front one changed much, if at all, year to year '69-on.

> One question I have the plastic piece in the middle of the fuel gauge
> has fallen to the bottom on both of these cars I'll attach link to a
> photo of it to show what I am talking about.  How much trouble would
> it be to take the gauge apart and re-glue it back on? Or do I need to
> find another gauge?

Do it as Bob suggested and it's pretty simple. I don't see that
problem very often, but it happens to any of the 3 gauges
occasionally.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org