[T3] Mysterious squareback condition

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 13:50:07 PST 2011

Can someone explain why grounding the distributor at the condenser screw fixes this problem?    Is some other ground not working?

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:47:36 -0800
From: James Lingenfelter <jimmyandcher at yahoo.com>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Mysterious squareback condition

Interesting, thanks. I'm curious to find out what's causing this.
Whatever it is, it's causing a minimum of two cylinders to go AWOL at
precisely the same time, and they could remain dead for a day, or for
a few seconds; and the problem can obviously remain completely hidden
for weeks at a time.