[T3] Mysterious squareback condition

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 27 12:26:04 PST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011 at 11:26, Russ W wrote:

> On 1/27/2011 11:18 AM, Tim Keohane wrote:

> > Removing the wire is on my to-do list. I've got a transmission problem
> > to deal with first. If I recall there is a ground wire soldered to the
> > vacuum advance plate that is also critical for proper operation. I
> > have swapped out my distributer because that wire had broken, and I
> > was unable to re-connect it. If it is not the upper distributer area
> > is it possible there is an issue with the trigger points. Each trigger
> > point activating/not activating 2 injectors, ???

> Or, the screw that holds the condensor to the distributor housing is too
> long, and adding the ground wire connector spaced it away from a
> critical component.

The advance plate screw is important. I can replace those if the breaker plate
is otherwise okay.

If someone uses a screw that's too long for the condensor, it hits the mech
advance mechanism and usually destroys it. I've got one of those shafts on my
bench right now. That makes for an expensive rebuild, so be careful if you ever
try to take your dist apart.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org