[T3] "cig lighter hole"

Daniel K. Du Vall dduvall at 1peter4-10.org
Mon Jan 31 17:54:48 PST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Russ W
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 6:24 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] "cig lighter hole"

On 1/30/2011 2:59 PM, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:
> A lot of cars now come with a USB port or ports to power devices as
well
> as connect them to internal systems.
> But the lighter socket is still in use also.
> I was just trying to keep the interior from looking to modern but have
> considered setting up a USB port.
>
> I did not realize I would stir things up so much by a simple question
> about a lighter socket.
> I don't even smoke ;-)
>
> Daniel Du Vall
> http://1peter4-10.org
> http://volkswageninsanity.us

USB is only 5V.  The ports that they have in the modern cars, are
regulated down to the 5V.
The adapters that plug into the power outlets have the regulators built
into them.
I also have an inverter that plugs into the power outlet.  75W
capability.  Good for laptops, etc.
Then I carry a 650W one that  has battery cable clamps.  It will run my
120V electric impact.

--
Thanks,
Russ Wolfe
russw at classicvw.org

One good reason to keep the 12 volt socket just for those items ;-)