[T3] Body Man (was "Need a great body man in western LA/Ventura County)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Thu Jan 6 16:40:55 PST 2011

To keep it simple, I'll post just one combined answer to all three helpful
replies below.

Keith, I will ask those pesky 1500 folks... if they will talk to a die-hard
1600 owner!

Russ, that is just the attitude I am looking for-- someone handier with a
hammer/dolly than with a spatula!

Mike, if you saw this paint you'd agree with me not to touch it.  After just
a wax (no polish), the cleaning cloth slowly slides down the roofline to the
back bumper, it's that smooth!  You can shave in the reflection.  Only the
front hood and fenders (long-ago accident damage fixed by the dealer) show
pitting and fading, and that WILL get repainted one of these days, after I
get the headliner and windshield rubber settled.  I like original paint and
this stuff looks almost showroom.  I have a few minor bends and dents I want
to carefully push back so I don't need to fill and paint.

It's only original once, and this car, my dad's first new car (I still have
the window sticker, key tag, service coupon book, and a few cans/bottles of
long dried, dealer L20D touch-up paint), is almost all original still.

The culprit admitted causing the accident, and the company is asking for the
bill without questioning me.  What a great resolution!  Now I just need to
find a good shop and get quotes.

Any tips on how to make replacement fender beading flexible with paint, and
any other suggestions, are still very welcome!

Thanks, guys, this is a great list (along with the great Samba site).  I
would not have the car in this "recovered" (mechanically) shape without the
help.  I hope to meet more of you if there is a west coast (SoCal) meet-up
in the future.

-Phil

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 06:01:49 -0800
From: Mike Fisher <fisherfarms at gmail.com>