[T3] Charging issue still

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 12 11:39:38 PST 2011

I have finished re-assembling/wiring my '73 T-3  F I Automatic.
It sat for 30 +/- days and fired right up. The volt meter wired
directly to the battery went 12.4 v to 12.1 v when I turned the key on
and the pump ran, then went to 12.4 v again. Engine turned over
quickly and fired within a few revolutions. While idling cold and R P
M's elevated the voltage went up to 13.9-14.0 v. As i loaded the
system with lights fog lamps etc the voltage dropped to 13.0 13.2 v
under full load. I drove the car for about 3 to 4 miles and as the
engine temp. approached normal the voltage on the battery dropped.
When I completed the 3 to 4 mile loop the battery charge would barely
read 12.4 at 40 mph and no load. The battery is 3 years old and seems
to hold a charge. ( We left it for three months connected ( clock only
drawing power ) it turned over and fired off as if it had been sitting
for a few days.) I'm thinking the generator has an issue that is temp.
sensitive. Any thoughts/ideas or has anyone experienced anything
similar.
Thanks in advance
Tim