[T3] charging issue still-SOLVED

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 22 09:17:45 PST 2011

The new electronic V R arrived and I went through the paces again,
with the old V R then swapped and installed and tested the new V R.
The same decline in voltage at the battery with the old VR occurred.
Wasn't expecting a change. Swapped the V R and let the car sit
overnight. Fired up and watched the battery voltage go to 13.9 at fast
idle. Made the same tests and the voltage stayed constant at 14.0
volts while driving with only engine and clock as a load. When
additional loads were applied the lowest voltage was 13.4 volts. That
would be with roughly 75-80% of max load.
I looked at the VR and noted the top is electrically isolated from the
battery/fuse panel connections. It would be a simple screw-up to short
across them so I fashioned an insulator from a chunk of garden hose.
Tim