[T3] Auto Trans Question

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 22 09:35:31 PST 2011

I've a second issue/question. The tranny here has been inconsistent
when shifting, usually up a grade, and between 30-40 mph. Recently it
started to skip second gear and go directly to 3rd, and lug the motor.
To off set the issue ( till I can repair it ) we've been manually
shifting through the gears. When going from 2nd to 3rd if the throttle
is not let off the motor revs like the clutches are slipping.  That is
the only time there is any sign of slippage, otherwise the shifting
seems solid and there is no noise. The fluid is up to snuff, and not
burnt, nor discolored. I'll be changing the fluid, and cleaning the
screen to see if the problem is that simple. My question is: if the
trans was installed and the primary throttle pressure was close but
not "spot on", would that lead to pressure failures and symptoms as
described. I'm hoping I can adjust the primary throttle pressure ala
Bently and be back in business. Tranny was rebuilt about 6 years past
and has maybe 20,000 miles max on it.
Thanks Tim