[T3] Mysterious squareback condition.... need suggestions.

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 16:42:23 PST 2011

   I have a '68 squareback, with dual Weber 34ICT carbs. My wife
drives it much more than I do. About 6 weeks ago she called me saying
it had started running poorly on her way home from the store, felt
like it was missing, started backfiring, etc. She got a block from
home and it died and would not restart. When I got home I looked at
it and saw nothing other than the coil wire being slightly loose.
After pushing that back on, it started immediately, idled perfectly,
I took it for about a 45 minute test run and it ran absolutely
perfectly. I determined either the coil wire had been coming off, or
either my wife was going nuts.
   We continued driving it over the last month with no problems
whatsoever. Then yesterday, my wife was taking it to the grocery
store..... she said it was hard to start, then ran horrible leaving
home, so she immediately came back and parked it. She tried later in
the day to start it and couldn't. When I got home from work, I got it
started after much cranking and pumping on the gas, but then it idled
horribly and would die within 30 seconds if you let off the throttle.
And I witnessed it backfire once through the passenger side carb when
I opened the throttle from the engine compartment. From randomly
inspecting things in the engine compartment I discovered massive
corrosion at the plug wire connections to the distributor cap..... I
was already planning to replace them since one plug wire had shocked
me through the shielding recently. I consulted with my brother, who's
an auto mechanic, and determined that, considering the all-day rain
we had yesterday, that I indeed had an ignition problem probably
resulting from poor connections or arcing somewhere.
   So, today I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and plug
wires.... It started immediately, idled OK; I let it idle in the
driveway about 15 minutes, then took it for a shakedown run. I drove
about 5 minutes, and suddenly without warning, it felt like it was
running on two cylinders..... not even three, but TWO. Barely enough
torque to let in the clutch in any gear without killing the engine. I
let off the gas and it idled very slowly and lopsided, and was
destined to die.... I revved it, it sounded ok again, and I pulled
over the first decent place I came to. I shut it off for a few
minutes. It restarted easily, and ran fine coming back home.
   So this is where I'm at now. I've now witnessed what my wife has
been trying to describe, and I have no idea what it is. Fuel pump is
good, recently replaced fuel filters; intake leaks that plagued me
forever are permanently fixed.... I maintain this car pretty
obsessively since it's a daily driver. Could it be a carb issue?
Sorry this message is so long, but I thought I'd relay every detail
in case any of it helps. Any clues or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated!
   Thanks,
    Jimmy