[T3] Intro - Newby Old Guy with '73 Squareback

Robert Bills RDBills at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 16:56:48 PST 2011

My name is Robert Bills, from Orange County CA, and the soon-to-be proud
owner of a used-but-not-abused '73 Squareback.    Did I mention that I'm 60
and should probably know better.  ;)

This is my second marriage to a Squareback.  My first was a '68 that I
bought in '70 while in college.  I drove it for years, sold it to my father
when I just had to have a better chick magnet, who drove it for several
years and then sold it to my brother, who drove it until it was completely
worn out.  Of all the cars I have owned, that Squareback still ranks in the
top 3.

The best description of my new Squareback is a well maintained, all original
survivor and a good candidate for a 100% bone stock driver.  It appears
complete, with no parts missing except for the RH mirror.  Unfortunately, it
has been stored for nearly 10 years without first draining the fuel tank and
making other long-term storage preparations, so I can expect to spend many
happy hours patiently cleaning the tank, replacing fuel lines and brake
hoses, and checking grounds and electrical connections before I can
drain/replace the oil and try to start it.  (Then come the oil leaks from
died up seals.)  I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any recommendations for good VW Type 3
shops/mechanics in Orange County, especially someone who understands the
fuel injection system and knows how to make it work the way it was designed.
Names I have been given, but still don't know anything about are Nycoe in
Santa Ana, Mike's Foreign Car in Anaheim, and Mesa West in Costa Mesa.

I look forward to having something to contribute to the list.