[T3] Cigarette lighter holes and Weber Carbs....

Frank Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:41:41 PST 2011

Hi there
While I haven't followed all of the threads for each of the above questions,
two responses are offered here anyway.   My '69 has what I had always
thought was a factory installed lighter...but after Jim's response, I
suspect a dealer installation...but the lighter knob is clearly T-1>T-3
issue as its style is exactly that of the other knobs...and it has an image
of the cigarette/cigar burning on its face.  I would post a picture, but I
don't have time.
The Weber issue is more complicated.  All Webers are sensitive to two things
which, if not addressed, will be frustrating in the least.  The first is the
fuel pressure.  These carbs MUST have 2-2.5 PSI and no more.  Even stock
pumps, when not pressure tested and corrected, (by adding or subtracting
gaskets under the pump base...or more radically, to adjust the push-rod
length by replacement or careful grinding),  can be at 3-5PSI...too much for
the Webers.  Electric pumps don't always produce the pressures they
advertise and must be checked and a pressure regulator, (like this one,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804/?image=large),installed.
Incidentally, these are rebuildable and adjustable...they arrive at 2.5 PSI.

The other element that plays havoc with Webers is contaminants in the fuel.
Even the smallest piece will find its way to a jet, (typically, an idle
jet), and redesign the acceleration curve, geometrically at times.  I use
two filters, one into and one out of, the fuel pump.  I would check those
float bowls for debris.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
FE Meek