[T3] Vacuum Leak

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 21:25:50 PST 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 21:33:24 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Vacuum Leak
>
> On 7 Jan 2011 at 16:45, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I found a vacuum leak in the area of the manifold at the cylinder
> > head.  I have the proper F.I. gasket, and new injectors on the same
> > side.  I have to leave in five minutes, so just wanted to get this out
> > there, and ask more questions later. ;)  I noticed one of the seals
> > was pinched on one side, so I gather it was not seated right.
> > However, this is not the cylinder that was running way over rich, but
> > the same bank.  Could this be the reason for the leak?  any other
> > reasons/possibilities?
>
> A vacuum leak would make something run lean, not rich, so the leak
> you found is not related to your rich cylinder.
>
> If the pinched seal was one of the small ones around the nose of an
> injector, then it was probably still sealing okay, but just not
> installed as carefully as it should have been. If you clean out the
> pocket where it seats and refit it, it will probably do fine after a
> few heat cycles.

Well then, what would cause one cylinder to run richer than the other
three, and then foul the plug?  I tested the injectors under pressure,
and they are not leaking and have a good spray pattern.  The cylinder
running rich is one, and the pinched nose seal is two.  Both injectors
are rebuilt.  I have always installed the injectors with the nose seal
on: should I install the seal first?

Where is the vacuum leak?

Thank you,
Adriel