[T3] "Correct" Bosch vs."new" Solid State VR

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 18 20:46:49 PST 2011

On 18 Jan 2011 at 11:43, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> You are using the Solid State VR in your '71 Variant( "Foster")?  And it's
> been operating OK for a year?
>
> I'm aware that is (probably) not a true test of time, for longevity, but IF
> it's been in your electrical system for 1 year, that's at least some
> evidence of "time tested", wouldn't you say?

The problem is that even the crappy aftermarket replacements will
work okay for a couple years. I'd like to think that Bosch will do
better, but I don't know any way to know without spending the time.

I REALLY need to buy one of those and put it in one of my Type 3s.

BTW, if anyone has one that has died, I'd LOVE to do a post mortem on
it.  Let me know and I'll pay the postage.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org