[T3] Blue Coil

Mark Fuhriman mfuhriman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:37:20 PST 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2011 at 18:06, James Lingenfelter wrote:
>
>> OK, I just removed the now notorious "scummy black coil" from the
>> squareback. Some scrubbing on the side revealed it is a "Borg Warner"
>> coil. Don't know much about these, I'm thinking maybe they were OEM on
>> some American cars? Any way, there is a Bosch coil on the car now  and
>> it is running as I write this.
>
> I don't know anything about B-W coils. If I remember, I'll try to ask
> someone tomorrow who might know something about them.
>
> Well, I asked him today, and he never heard of B-W making coils. We
> agreed that they were probably made by someone else and marketed with
> the B-W name and we'd never seen one. Quality unknown....

I have an old Borg Warner coil that I pulled off a junkyard Type 3 a
number of years back.  I keep it around as a spare for my car.

I wonder if this is the same Borg Warner that made radio sets in the
early 1900s.  Anybody know (Keith)?  I have an old B-W radio here that
I want to get working.

Mark
'69 Fastback