[T3] fuel tank leak

crash 69 dhbadeer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 07:29:10 PDT 2011

I hadn't thought of using that fiber washer inside the big nut.

Here's the latest report:

I decided to apply a "take no prisoners" approach to this problem, so here's
what I did.

1.  applied QuickSteel Epoxy (Wal-mart, 5 bucks) around the base of the
threaded outlet on the tank and waited for it to fully cure overnight.  This
is to seal any leaks coming from the welded area (I didn't see any leaks,
but figured it can't hurt)

2.  installed the tap with the red fiber washer between the filter flange
and tube flange

3.  found a thick, fibrous washer in my stash that fit perfectly inside the
big nut

So far, it's been 23 hours and no leaks!!  I'm going to keep an eye on it
for the next few days, in case that thick washer takes a while to absorb
fuel then leak.

FYI:
The rubber gasket that companies sell to seal the sending unit to the tank
is junk (my .02).  Mine started to delaminate in 2 weeks and was dropping
small pieces of rubber into the fuel!  I found an excellent alternative at a
Diesel truck parts dealer.  They carry a similar seal, but thicker and much
better material.  As a bonus, the bolt holes line up exactly!  I only had to
trim the outer perimeter a little, since it's a little "big".  The regular
VW one costs under $3, this good one is about $8.  Well worth the difference
in my opinion.  Because of the added thickness, the fuel gauge reads a
little "conservative" (ie less than what's in there).

Thanks to all.  Future report will be sent.
Dan