[T3] steering column coupling disc

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 15:52:53 PDT 2011

Well, it will work until it splits apart and leaves you with imprecise or no
steering!

They are usually reinforced with cloth within the rubber, but are pretty
vital parts, so I would suggest you replace it anyway.

I've seen some very cracked ones that were still holding on, but it's like
cracked tyres - do you change them before they fail or after!

When you replace it, get a decent one - there are some poor replicas around.
Remember to reconnect the horn wire across the gasket - the column bolts and
steering gear bolts only bolt through the rubber disc, not onto each other.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club