[T3] Brake Lights

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 6 04:45:26 PDT 2011

On 5 Jul 2011 at 16:23, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Well, trying to back the threads of that switch out, my buddy broke the tap
> off.  I don't blame him, he was proceeding cautiously.  So, had to take the
> MC to a machine shop and leave it up to them to get both out.

He probably broke an EZ-Out, not a tap. To use the EZ-Out, the center
hole should have been enlarged so that a larger EZ-Out could have
been used, but that still might not have worked. I've generally had
pretty poor experience with EZ-Outs.

A better approach might have been to weld a bolt to the stump, then
unscrew it. That would have the advantage of no machining chips.

> I won't have it back until 12pm tomorrow.  They seemed confident in being
> able to take care of it, but I'm skeptical about whether it will be clean
> enough to put fluid back in and not have some tiny shard blocking a port or
> something.

If they machine it out, creating chips, try this: Install it with a
brass 1/8" NPT pipe plug in that location. First thing you do when
you bleed the front circuit, remove that plug and do a couple pumps
out that hole, flushing it clean. Then install the new switch and
continue bleeding.

If it appears that they created a LOT of small chips, then sending it
back to me might be prudent. The real question here is whether any of
the chips got past the small drilling at the base of the hole from
the threaded port and into the main MC bore. Small chips that got in
there wouldn't cause any problem unless they got caught up in the
frontmost sliding rubber seal. If that happened, it could keep the
seal from sealing and might damage it.

If the shop used cutting oil when doing the machining, then
everything should be taken apart and cleaned to remove all traces of
the cutting oil.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org