[T3] steering column coupling disc

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 6 04:45:25 PDT 2011

On 5 Jul 2011 at 15:39, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> I noticed that the coupling disc on my steering wheel had a crack running
> thru it.  Does it need to be replaced?  It seemed fine otherwise.

They all develop small surface cracks after this much time, but I've
never seen an OG one fail unless the car has been in an accident that
changed the geometry at that joint. A change in geometry can require
greater flexing than the disk can handle. If that's the case, a
replacement disk will also fail quickly.

What I've heard is that the replacement disks do not have the fabric
reinforcement that the OE parts have, and that they do not last
nearly as long. All my disks are the OG parts, have small surface
cracks, and are still going strong.

I would not rush to replace yours unless the crack seems to go all
the way thru the material. Keep an eye on it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org