[T3] Coil, Calipers, and Front Beam

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 21:22:48 PDT 2011

Brian came over to save my butt and get me out the pickle I got myself in.  I got the damaged beam removed, but could not install the replacement.  Brian got a bunch of pictures; not sure when they will be available.  Brian, thank you so much!

Apparently the tie rod took the impact, as the bars were centered and strait.  The grease was clean except a bit of fine metallic grit so wiped it all off and re-greased the beam real good; only had graphite additive grease available but figured good for C.V.s even better for bearings.  The bearings and bushings looked real good.  No cracks in the upper bushings, so real lucky.  Think this is a low mileage beam as grease looked it and the fact there is a number inked on the support for the shock absorber, but not a chassis number.  Could it be a body number?

Worked good as a team, as while I was rebuilding the beam, Brian replaced the tie rod ends, then while he was getting the ball joints out, I was doing odds and ends.  Then as a team swapped to the best steering box as two were grinding.  Installed the best Pittman arm meaning had the best bushing and then the best steering dampener, but will have to be replaced down the road.  The one on the Squreback was a nice German one, but was bent about three inches from the end.  Guess that is why my turning radius was a bit wide, right?

We got the beam in which was a royal pain.  I need at least one of the upper rubber mounts, the one on the bottom side of the bracket so not fully in.  Also, the middle mounts with the square hats take a lot of force to turn the bolts.  Why?  Should I tap them?  Not sure I have large enough tap: 12x1.5?

All that is left is to get the spindles with all the bits in by bolting up the ball joints.  Trouble with the new uppers I have is the shaft is about 2mm larger in diameter than the hole.  What is this about?  Any solution?  I have the used upper ball joints, except for a small crack in their boots.  Do have plastic plugs so could keep them greased if I could not get new boots.

Thank you,
Adriel