[T3] t3 restoration

Alex Satala alexsatala at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 11:12:14 PDT 2011

Well , here is the story: The first engine we rebuilt worked well in short
rounds but after running it for about 10km it started to change its tone to a
lower one, a heavy beat from inside the engine, after 50km the red oil light
turned on and that was it , the main bearings failed (the heavy beat) and with
not enough oil pressure the crankcase got ruined.
We then moved all the new parts to another more modern crankcase and that one
worked even better , but unfortunatelly the heavy beat is back (bearings wearing
out fast) , yesterday we went for a short run and all was fine in the 1st gear
lots of power , 2nd too but after a couple of hills the engine was moaning
heavier so we turned back home to avoid destroying this one too.
Here is what is weird : When cold starting the engine it probably has no oil in
the main bearings and it make a terrible noise like there's a 1mm gap between
the crankshaft and bearing, 5 seconds later it starts working normally. I think
that is what is eating the engines up.
2 more problems frustrated me even more , when pushing the newly repaired brakes
it pulls right really hard (was pulling before too) and the second the gearbox
is noisy , pulls out of the third gear in wich it also humms (we filled it with
transmission oil).
Any advices to these problems is welcomed but i doubt i can do anything to those
engines without loads of new parts or a fully new engine.

WBR Alex