[T3] Ground for Fuel Pump Plug

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 12 19:17:04 PDT 2011

On 12 Jul 2011 at 16:03, SCS Crewcab wrote:

> My prob wasn't the ground at the fuel pump plug after all. It was the
> ground coming from lead 19 from the ECU. At the firewall in the engine
> compartment, just to the left of center, there is a single wire
> connector that joins 2 single white wires. One of the wires has
> continuity with terminal 85 on the fuel pump relay. The other wire is
> broken off. I'm pretty sure it should connect to terminal 19 on the ECU
> but, I do not see any place on the harness around this connector where
> this wire could have broken. It must have broke off just barely inside
> the harness.

Yes, that single white wire just snakes out between 2 different
sections of the jacket over the FI harness. You may be able to see
down that gap and see the rest of the wire, or feel the stump under
the jacket. The exposed section of that wire was only 3-4" long, so
it should not be too hard to find where it came from. You may need to
cut back the jacket in order to splice the wire back together.

> When I ground the broken white wire at the firewall, the relay does
> energize and I get power to the fuel pump but, the pump doesn't spin.
> This car has sat for 3 years with an empty gas tank and the pump was
> working when I parked it. I priced a new pump online and, it's a real
> bargain at $547.00. I'm hoping the gas that was left it has the pump
> mechanism gummed up. Is there a link somewhere online that gives
> instructions on cleaning or repairing them?

I rebuild the version that came on '70-73 cars. The cost is $75 or
$125 plus return shiping, depending on what the problem is. There's
very little point in hoping that you can just clean it out and it
will work. They're all old enough by now that they're failing from
other problems, so even if you got it to work, it would probably only
be temporary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org