[T3] Fuel woes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 13 06:33:46 PDT 2011

On 13 Jul 2011 at 7:59, Gregory N. Cox wrote:

> My '73 SQB started an intermittent  clicking noise from the fuse block area a week ago. Yesterday the clicking became constant and I lost power on the interstate and the engine died. Starter cranks fine, just no engine turnover. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

The fuel pump relay is bolted to the "firewall" just forward of the
fuse box. It's a grey box with several wires connected to it. That
could be making the clicking sound.

Do this test:

Starting with the key OFF, turn the key ON, but don't start the
engine. As the key goes ON, you should hear a relay click and then a
second click about 1 second later. Do you hear both of those clicks?
If so, is that the click you've been hearing?

If you don't get the clicks, then you've got a wiring problem. Start
by looking under the back seat. There should be a second identical
grey box screwed to the top of the kick panel on the driver's side.
Make sure that screw is tight, because there's a ground wire also
held by that screw.

Also check the cluster of white ground wires connected to a ground
lug in the center top of the engine.

Let us know what you find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org