[T3] Fuel pump

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 13 13:47:59 PDT 2011

On 13 Jul 2011 at 14:07, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I removed my pump last summer.  Cleaned it all up.  Checked it's operation
> and delivery quantity in DIESEL FUEL  (not diesel OIL like someone mentioned
> - That may have just been mis-worded).
>
> What Jim A. found , when he re-built my Fuel Pump, was, the small,
> spring-loaded "plunger" under the small, crimped-on, silver-colored
> "pressure relief cap" (the cap is clearly shown in the Fuel Section 4 -
> Bentley book, in Fig. 4-1).  It's the little "hat-like" cap on the far
> right) apparently opens when too much fuel pressure develops on the Return
> Outlet side of the pump.  (Did I say that correctly, Jim?) and returns
> unused/excess fuel into the fuel tank.

Gary's pump had suffered the failure mode that's getting rather
typical by now. The little rubber tip on the pressure relief piston
broke off and blocked the outlet port. This seems to be happening to
many of our pumps now that they are getting into their 40s.

I fix that problem with the basic $75 rebuild, because it doesn't
require that I open up the motor housing. I generally don't have to
open up the motor housing unless gas is leaking out there or around
the electrical connector. If I have to open up the motor housing,
that's a lot of extra work, so I charge an extra $50 for that effort.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org