[T3] Tire inflation pressures

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 15 20:03:14 PDT 2011

On 15 Jul 2011 at 21:54, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Daniel, I'm running 195-60-15's on the front, and 205-65-15's on the rear
> on 5.5 inch rims. I just tried to stay close to the stock spec that VW gave
> (since they designed the car). I've found those pressures work good with
> the  tire sizes I'm running. Something to think about, pressure is pressure,
> and  volume is volume. You might need more air "volume" to fill the tire, but
> it'll  still need the same pressure.

I'm gonna disagree with some of this, but I accept the fact that Bob
finds these pressures to work well with his tires.

Yes pressure is pressure and volume is volume, but the car is
supported by force, which is neither, but related to pressure and
tire contact patch area. I don't have any experience with larger
tires, but others here do. In the past, some of them have described
using lower pressures with their larger tires to some advantage. I
think this is worth trying. You might consider working down in the
range of 15-18 psi.

Bob, have you tried anything lower? I suspect you'd find it to work
even better.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org