[T3] Grease on Light Bulbs/Sockets

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 16 17:50:22 PDT 2011

On 16 Jul 2011 at 16:53, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I often put some grease on the bases of front turn signal bulbs, just
> because those tend to get welded in by corrosion. The grease avoids
> that, but you have to keep it off the glass or it will darken and
> reduce light output.
>
> Do you use Dielectric Grease?  I understand that DOES NOT interfere with
> conductivity.  We keep our "flat-four" wiring harness connector between
> motor home and "toad" lubed with Dielectric Grease.  Makes for a much easier
> plug-in and disconnect.

I have the impression that Dielectric Grease is mainly for high
voltage applications, like spark plug wire connections, to prevent
arcing, so I don't use it for this application. For 12 V bulb bases,
the grease I use is just plane old axle grease. I'm just trying to
exclude water and prevent corrosion.

> ONLY on the front turn signal bulbs?

Those are the only bulb sockets that seem to get wet regularly. I
guess I've also used it on the master cylinder brake light switch
connectors, also for corrosion protection.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org