[T3] pinion gear replacement-it's time #2

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 20 11:41:43 PDT 2011

On 20 Jul 2011 at 11:18, Fred Simmons wrote:

> the growl in my pinion gear has finally become unbearable. per the
> bentley, there's no way i can handle such a big job myself, so i'm
> going to have it replaced at a local vw shop which has been around for
> along time but i haven't used except to get a few parts. i'm planning
> to to get a new clutch assembly and have the flywheel checked. is there
> anything else i should take care of at the same time?  anything i
> should try be sure they did?

It might be the gear (VERY expensive) or just a bearing (expensive.)

Air cooled VW tranny work is VERY specialized work. They may be able
to handle it, but talk with them carefully and maybe read up on the
process in the Bentley manual. It takes a number of very special and
very expensive tools to do much of this, so make sure they are up to
it. I'd be concerned that they would tell you they can do it (yes,
they need the business) but they might not have anyone really skilled
at it.

Note that lots of people can rebuild one to survive a season of
racing, but few of those would last 100,000 miles of street use.

You might be better off, and more cheaply done, by buying a virgin
junkyard tranny. If you go that route, make sure you get a Type 3
tranny. One from a '69 or 70 should be an exact replacement, but a
later one would work just fine if you change to the later pressure
plate at the same time.

If you tell us where you're located, someone near you might have a
good replacement. I know I have an excellent one here.

You should be able to buy 2-3 used trannys for the price of one
rebuild.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org