[T3] pinion gear replacement-it's time #2

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jul 20 17:53:08 PDT 2011

You want a case with a serial number that starts with DC

Keith

> What exactly is the difference in a Type 3 transaxle other than where
> the hole is on the hockey stick?
>
> I looked the serial on my and it's for a Type 3, but the castings of
> both the main housing and nosecone have 113xxxxxx.  I thought maybe the
> gearing was different, but this table shows many others as the same
> (assuming the table is correct).
> http://www.shining-wit.net/rick/buggy/design/transmission/
>
> I was thinking Fred could just swap the hockey stick with a used
transaxle.

I thought there were some differences in the gearing, or maybe it's
just the final drive ratio. At any rate, you don't want a beetle
tranny.  An IRS tranny from a bug would also have 4 holes in the
bottom of the bell housing where the rear subframe on the beetle
supported the rear of the tranny, just as on swing axle cars. These
holes are actually there on Type 3 trannys, but they have been
plugged with alum plugs.

The number cast onto the side of the case is the casting number for
the case, which would have been the same for any Type 1 or Type 3 IRS
tranny, up to the point where the case got an integral right side
cover. Then both got a different casting.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org