[T3] Cold idle Problem

SCS Crewcab scscrewcab at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 20 19:06:50 PDT 2011

I got my '71 FI Fastback running. I plugged the holes in the gas tank
with epoxy paste and squirted carb cleaner in the ports of the fuel pump
and kept reversing polarity until it freed up. It's running pretty good
for being parked for 3 years. Kind of amazed it cranked at all. Anyway,
I've had a nagging problem ever since I got this car. When I start it
when the engine's cold and let it idle, it either shuts off or idles
like it's about to shut off. If I rev it up a few times or just hold the
pedal down about a quarter of the way, after about 15-20 seconds, it
will idle normally. I've tried all the obvious things like timing,
plugs, plug wires, idle setting, etc. It's no big deal, I'm just
wondering what's causing it.