[T3] Cold idle Problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 20 21:08:03 PDT 2011

On 20 Jul 2011 at 23:55, SCS Crewcab wrote:

> OK, but, if it's caused by either of these problems, wouldn't it also
> run lousy when I revved it up?

Yes. If it's only at idle that it runs poorly, then I'd check
compression; it doesn't sound like a FI problem. That makes me wonder
if you've got a bad cylinder. You can test that by pulling one SP
wire off the dist cap at a time.

> Is there anything on the Type 3 FI system that performs the same
> function of the choke on a carbed car?

The temp sensors work with the brain to adjust the richness according
to the head and air temps.

There's another FI possibility. It's possible that you're not getting
good electrical connection at one or more of the injectors. Try
pushing those connectors sideways while idling to see if that changes
anything. If it does, you'll need to back the connector pins out of
the plastic bodies, snug them up very carefully, and reinstall them.

Replacement injectors came with very slightly thinner pins, and this
sometimes catches us. I don't recall if it causes your particular
symptoms, but it does cause rough running. The best way to diagnose
this is with the Bosch tester, but try the test above.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org