[T3] Cold idle Problem

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 04:57:03 PDT 2011

The AAR valve acts like a fast idle mechanism on a carb by providing a
temperature variable air-bleed into the intake air distributor (IAD).  The
ECU senses the intake pressure, and because the extra bleed air acts like a
partly open throttle valve, the ECU adds extra fuel for the extra air to
keep the mixture right.  As the engine warms up, the AAR closes off and the
idle goes back to normal.

If it runs well at higher rpm, it might simply be the battery voltage is a
bit on the low side due to a sticking voltage regulator.  Is the battery
well charged and the charging voltage around 14V at medium rpm?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club