[T3] Solid mount subframe ??

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 22 05:52:59 PDT 2011

On 21 Jul 2011 at 16:58, SAW DUST wrote:

> Hey guys, I know this product is kinda new but does anyone have an
> opinion on the concept or is actually using these aluminum grommets to
> mount their Subframes?  Im considering using these, please let me know
> what you think.

> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1159021

Vibration isolation design was in it's infancy when our cars were
done, so this design never worked very well. One of my cars came from
a really hot part of SoCal. The rubber subframe mounts had all turned
hard and some had cracked. I have replaced all the bad rubber parts I
can get to easily, but replacing all of them would be more work than
I want to do. My replacements came from cars I have parted out.

Replacing them with solid pieces would certainly make things more
rigid, but I'd expect the noise to be terrible.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org