[T3] Replacing Real Wheel Bearings

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:37:10 PDT 2011

Check for looseness of the bearings before changing them.  They generally
last very well, but if your car has done a very high mileage, they may need
replacing.  I've only had to do one in all the Type 3 miles I've driven.  I
don't remember the outer axle being hard to remove (inwards) once the
circlip was removed.  Maybe some taps with a hammer and wood pad, but not
much more.
If the wheel is left on the drum, it gives a good handhold for working the
drum off the axle splines rather than hammering it off (careful with the
cast drums), but you may have to slacken off the rear brake shoes first.

I think Bob meant remove the rear axle NUTS, or at least loosen them off,
before lifting the car!

When removing the 12-point socket head screws from the driveshaft flanges,
clean out the sockets carefully, and tap the spline tool home to get the
best grip you can.  It's not easy to remove stubborn socket head screws once
they have been damaged.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club