[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

SCS Crewcab scscrewcab at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 23 15:41:09 PDT 2011

The Bentley goes a bit overboard with their Phosphoric acid treatment.
There's a readily available product that will do the trick. Just about
any FLAPS sells some kind of Phosphoric Acid rust treatment. My local
store sells something called Metal Ready. Eastwood sells the same brand.
It's a mild Phosphoric acid solution that dissolves loose rust and
converts rust in pitted areas to a black primer that actually will
protect the tank from further corrosion. You don't need to fill the
tank. Just put enough in to cover the entire inner surfaces, slosh it
around and pour it out. Keep re-coating it until you can't see any more
rust.

If you're in a high humidity area, you might think about sealing the
inside of the tank. The ethanol in gas attracts moisture in the air and,
when the tank sits for any period of time, the water sinks to the bottom
and reacts with the metal in the tank. Even if you get it sparkling
clean, eventually, the rust will return. (Unless they outlaw ethanol in
motor fuels!)