[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:23:53 PDT 2011

> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:41:09 -0400
> From: scscrewcab at bellsouth.net
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes
>
> The Bentley goes a bit overboard with their Phosphoric acid treatment.
> There's a readily available product that will do the trick. Just about
> any FLAPS sells some kind of Phosphoric Acid rust treatment. My local
> store sells something called Metal Ready. Eastwood sells the same brand.
> It's a mild Phosphoric acid solution that dissolves loose rust and
> converts rust in pitted areas to a black primer that actually will
> protect the tank from further corrosion. You don't need to fill the
> tank. Just put enough in to cover the entire inner surfaces, slosh it
> around and pour it out. Keep re-coating it until you can't see any more
> rust.

I am with the Bentley, being of Germanic origin, think best to over do it
than do it at all. ;)

I have used Phosphoric Acid for metal preparation and prevention, so had
it on hand.

I did fill the tank because I did not want to risk it, and had not gotten
this reply.  Oh well.

> If you're in a high humidity area, you might think about sealing the
> inside of the tank. The ethanol in gas attracts moisture in the air and,
> when the tank sits for any period of time, the water sinks to the bottom
> and reacts with the metal in the tank. Even if you get it sparkling
> clean, eventually, the rust will return. (Unless they outlaw ethanol in
> motor fuels!)

I now know about the water problem.  It has huge detrimental impact on the
environment.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Aug01/corn-basedethanol.hrs.html
Takes over a gallon of petroleum to make a gallon of ethanol.  I was think-
ing to store it with a full tank and put oil in the fuel.

Thank you,
Adriel