[T3] Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes

SCS Crewcab scscrewcab at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 23 19:15:03 PDT 2011

Boy, this sounds ** really ** complicated!  When I look into that cup 
from the opening for the fuel sender, I see a direct opening to the 
return line going out of the tank. Looking from the bottom up through 
that return line, I don't see any openings in the the line other than 
the one that opens directly into the cup.  Do I have some kind of 
aftermarket tank?

On 7/23/2011 9:57 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2011 at 18:46, SCS Crewcab wrote:
>> What passages are you referring to?
> The FI tank has a sort of "cup" welded to the inside of the tank.
> That cup has a channel which leads under it, to the return line port.
> Returning fuel drags fuel from the main part of the tank thru that
> channel and into the "cup." So, when the tank is close to empty, the
> "cup" will remain full.
> In essense, this utilizes the return flow of the FI pump to scavenge
> gas from the main compartment and put it into the cup that the pump
> draws from.
> If that small passage under the cup is blocked, the only way for gas
> to get into the cup and to the pump is over the top of the cup. This
> means that once the tank is down to about 3/8 full, the pump will run
> out of gas.
> It's a system that works really well, unless you mess it up.

More information about the type3-vwtype3.org mailing list