[T3] Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes)

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 04:14:17 PDT 2011

I can hear an occasional sound - very half-hearted, and a moment around 1:18
when the engine is helping the starter.  Maybe the spark is coming at the
wrong time.

To check for a spark at the plug, just get a spare one, put it in one of the
spark plug leads and rest it on the metal engine case - it should spark.
True, it's not under the same conditions as in a cylinder, but does check
there's a hope of a spark in there.

I think you mentioned the distributer not being fully down at one point -
it's worth checking the rotor is actually rotating when the engine is being
cranked!  You won't get a spark at the plugs if not anyway, so I guess it
must be.

Just some checks (sorry if you've already reported doing these):-
Check you are getting a spark at the plugs.
Are the plug leads correctly arranged round the distributor cap? (Should be
if you haven't changed anything on there since it was last running?)
Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn on the
key?
Have you checked for fuel pressure?  It could be the fuel pressure regulator
isn't regulating correctly (but other possibilities too).

I can imagine how frustrated you are getting - I think we all are, at not
being able to come over and help you sort it.  It's very puzzling as you
have been very thorough in what you've done, and still it isn't right.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club