[T3] Huston, we have ignition! (was RE: Some Spark but no Fire (was RE: Update with a Bowl Full of Rust Flakes))

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 27 04:47:56 PDT 2011

On 26 Jul 2011 at 23:52, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> > From: jadney at vwtype3.org

> > On 26 Jul 2011 at 12:06, Adriel Rowley wrote:
> >
> > > I will check the dwell and timing once I have fresh gasoline, as timing
> > > needs to be set at about 30 degrees advance at 3,500 R.P.M. I.I.R.C..
> > > Russ suggested 15 degrees advance, but do not want to run it that way
> > > with possibly bad fuel.
> >
> > Why not stick to what the Bentley suggests: for a '71,TDC at idle.
> > You're MUCH less likely to screw that up than trying to time to a non-
> > existant mark at high rpm/
> >
> Because I trust what Russ said about advancing it fifteen more than a
> pollution control.
>
> I was just planning on setting it to fifteen, then checking to be sure it
> did not go past the 30.
>
> > The 15 deg figure is wrong, and the 30 deg figure requires more
> > understanding than you have at this point.
> >
> So if it is wrong, what else is wrong that Russ said. ;|

Russ never said 15. He understood the problem and never would have
made that mistake.

> Trouble is, the Bentley was not written when there was crap they put in
> the fuel.  All the information I have been finding says for proper running
> to advance the timing.  Do you have information otherwise?

Don't know where you're getting that from. Anyone who suggests
changing the timing by 15 degrees is way off their rocker. That's a
really quick way to damage an engine.

And don't get misled by the folks who belive that modern gas is crap.
It works fine. It may give you 1-2 less mpg, but that's all you'll
ever notice. Don't use it as an excuse for why your engine doesn't
run well. If my engine runs well, yours should too.

> What understanding am I missing?  I have had a year of auto shop, plus the
> several, if not more, owning type 3s.

You keep making mistakes, like setting the points but not on the peak
of the cam or coming up with that 15 degree figure. They suggest that
you're in a hurry and are assuming more
skill/competence/understanding than you actually have. You eventually
recognize your errors, laugh about them, but don't seem to learn
that you tend to make them. Wake up. Pay attention. Check your work.

Want more examples?

> > Keep it straightforward and get it running right before you start
> > messing around with it again.
> >
> I was told static timing was not good enough and one should check it with a
> light.  Is this incorrect?

It is correct, but static means with the engine off. Dynamic is with
the engine running. Setting it at idle with a timing light to TDC is
dynamic and what you should be doing.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org