[T3] reIntroduce

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 27 11:46:02 PDT 2011

On 24 Jul 2011 at 23:12, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> I have found on mine, the 5/16" hose on the I.A.D. nipple leaks like
> crazy, so had to clamp it way over tight.  Still need to get a better
> hose for it, and was thinking of going to 7mm, as was standard hose for
> early F.I..  I would like not to use clamps on the F.I. hoses if I can,
> especially when they are over tightened. ;/

I'm slow on replying to this, but I wanted to check the fits before I
stuck my foot in my mouth. I have several versions of 5/16" hose here
and each of them is sufficiently snug on the IAD port. The ports
themselves measure just a tad over 8 mm and the hoses tend to run a
bit undersize, so this ends up being ideal.

Is it possible, Adriel, that the hose you used had been previously
used on a different fitting? That might have left it stretched a bit.
A hose that had been installed between the IAD and the PS, but turned
around by mistake, might act this way.

The port on the pressure sensor is larger and slightly tapered, so
it's never a problem, but it could stretch one end enough to make a
poor seal if the hose was reversed.

We are in complete agreement about not overtightening FI hose clamps,
or any hose clamps for that matter.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org