[T3] Cutting Ferrules from Injectors

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 3 06:21:50 PDT 2011

On 30 Jun 2011 at 9:52, Phil Hof wrote:

> Back in the '80s my retired factory instructor/local mechanic used to remove
> the woven hose nubs from even the new injectors, saying they tended to leak
> after a short while.  Perhaps this was poor rubber, or maybe a gasoline
> additive that attacked that particular rubber formulation; he didn't say.
> He used a hose he referred to as neoprene, though again I wasn't asking too
> many questions, and I'm not clear if he meant pure neoprene, or maybe hose
> with a liner or jacket of neoprene.  It had internal reinforcement, and no
> cloth jacket.

Neoprene is the material of choice when dealing with gasoline.
Different materials are used for water hose, but those materials will
swell dramatically if used with gas. I've seen neoprene liner fuel
hose with a jacket made from something else; that stuff gets really
nasty if there's a bit of a leak nearby. The good stuff is neoprene
inside and out.

> It had ribs running lengthwise on the outside, and seemed a little
> thicker in OD.  It was supposed to last much longer than any others
> available.

The outside ribs sounded familiar, but then I realized that where I'd
seen it was on some brands of brake hoses. I don't think the ribs are
an important feature. Most 5/16" (= 8 mm) hose is a bit larger OD
than the OG fabric outer hose, but this is not a problem most places
on the car. There are 3 places, however, where the hose is expected
to pass thru a grommet, and the larger OD hose has trouble there.

I have very good 5/16" fuel hose with small OD that I've been using
for quite a few years. I'm afraid it's more expensive than the
$.99/ft that was mentioned here (that price was a STEAL!) but the
quality is excellent and it fits and works everywhere on our cars. No
hose lasts forever, so don't expect to get more than 10-15 years out
of it, depending on where it is on the car. The hoses under the gas
tank stay cool and last a lot longer.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org